Monday, May 18, 2009

An Unhealed Wound


My Uncle


On January 6, 2003 by uncle passed away. He died because he committed suicide from depression. I still remember the day we got the news. My mom, clutching the phone in her hand, weeping, leaning against the wall. This is one image that has stayed clear in my mind. My uncle and his family had come from India, and it was very hard for him to adjust to the American way of life. He was used to taking his time at work, but here everything must be done on time, and you must keep track of your schedule. This was such a different way of life that my uncle couldn't handle it. I still get emotional when I talk about this, because he was totally fine in India. If he had not come to America with his family, he would have been fine. I know that what happened wasn't any one's fault, because God makes plans for everyone. My uncle and I weren't very close, but he did have a special place in my heart. My family and I visit his grave from time to time, and we pray that my uncle is having the time of his life in heaven. One fond memory that I have of my uncle is that he would always give us Werther's Original, the candy! He even told me to take a whole packet of it one day! This shows that my uncle was very generous and had a very big heart! I love my uncle so much, and I am thankful to God for giving me such a loving uncle like him!

No comments:

Post a Comment